GMCMI Constitution and Bylaws
GMC Motorhomes International Chapter | Family Motor Coach Association, Inc.
September 29, 2006
>> ARTICLE I – CHAPTER NAME
The name of this not-for-profit organization shall be GMC Motorhomes International (GMCMI) chapter of the Family Motor Coach Association, Inc., hereinafter referred to as Chapter and FMCA.
>> ARTICLE II – OBJECT
- PURPOSE: This Chapter exists to promote social, recreational, and informational exchange activities that provide for the enjoyment and pleasurable use of family member coaches.
- AREA/SCOPE: This Chapter shall be authorized to function in the International Area with a primary interest in GMC Classic Motorhomes and/or location of the United States and Canada.
>> ARTICLE III – MEMBERS
- ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible for and to maintain membership in the Chapter, a person must own at least one-third of an FMCA-approved coach, be in good standing with FMCA, and meet the dues requirement and provisions set forth in the Bylaws of this Chapter.
- The term “Family Unit,” is defined as a person; his or her spouse, or partner, dependents of each, regardless of age; non- dependent grandchildren and great-grandchildren aged 18 and under.
- The term “Membership,” is defined as either a family unit or an individual or individuals owning a Qualifying Motor Coach who share a membership number.
- The term “Member,” is defined as each adult who, jointly or individually, constitutes a membership. The voting rights of each member are defined in the description of each category.
- The term “Qualifying Motor Coach,” is defined as a self-propelled, completely self-contained vehicle that contains all the conveniences of a home, including cooking, sleeping, and permanent sanitary facilities, and in which the driver’s area is directly accessible in a walking position from the living quarters. The terms motor coach and motorhome may be used interchangeably.
- DUES AND FEES:
A. ANNUAL DUES: Annual payment of Chapter and National dues enables persons to become active members and entitled to all rights and privileges of the Chapter and FMCA. The annual dues for membership in the Chapter shall be an amount, as the membership shall establish.
B. RENEWAL: Renewal dues from Chapter members become due and payable January 1.
C. INITIAL APPLICATION: Application for new membership shall be accompanied by payment of annual Chapter and National dues (unless already an FMCA member.) If an initial application is accepted after October 1, the dues shall be regarded as covering the next membership year.
D. INITIATION FEE: New and reinstated members may be required to pay an initiation fee in an amount to be established by the Chapter membership.
E. ARREARS: Any member whose dues remain unpaid for more than two months after becoming due shall be considered delinquent; after three months membership is canceled.
>> ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
- TERMS OF OFFICE: The elected officers of this Chapter shall serve a one year term of office, or until their successors are elected.
- RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS:
A. An individual FMCA member may hold office(s) in only one chapter.
B. Individual FMCA members may hold no more than two offices in the same chapter.
C. Any member in good standing may be nominated from the floor for any elective office.
D. Only Full Members, Full Lifetime Members, Life Members, or Honorary Members who have advanced from one of these classes have the right to hold office in this Chapter.
E. No official or member shall become vested of any right, title to, or interest in any Chapter property, except as required by law.
- EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
A. The President, President pro tem, Secretary, Treasurer, immediate past President, and Vice President of Administration shall serve as the Executive Committee.
B. The Executive Committee shall have general supervision of the affairs of the chapter between its business meetings, shall be subject to the orders of the chapter, and none of its acts shall be in conflict with the chapter or FMCA.
>> ARTICLE V – COMMITTEES
- APPOINTMENT: Committee members and Chairperson (except Nominating Committee and Executive Committee) shall be appointed by the President.
- DUTIES: All committees shall function within the policies of the Chapter and (except Nominating Committee) under the direction of the President. Financial reports, vouchers, and monies due the Chapter shall be submitted on a timely basis.
- QUORUM: A Committee quorum shall be a majority.
>> ARTICLE VI – CHAPTER ADMINISTRATION
- AUTHORITY: This Chapter shall be democratically self-governed, deriving its existence and authority from the consent of its membership assembled in meeting or, in certain instances, by mail vote on stated propositions.
- ORGANIZATION YEAR: The fiscal and membership year of the Chapter shall commence on January 1 and end on December 31.
- CHAPTER MEETINGS:
A. TYPES: The term “meeting” shall include coach rallies, campouts, dinner meetings, and any other gatherings suitable to the function of the Chapter.
B. BUSINESS MEETINGS: The Chapter must hold at least two business meetings each membership year at which a quorum is present. Said meetings must be at least fourteen days apart and be duly announced in advance to the membership.
C. ANNUAL ELECTION: One of the business meetings shall be an Annual Meeting at which an election is held if required by a one-year term option. The voting general membership is to elect Chapter officers, including a President, all Vice Presidents, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a National Director, and an Alternate National Director.
D. QUORUM: A quorum for the transaction of business at any duly called Chapter meeting is twenty five percent of the Chapter family unit membership or fifteen family unit members whichever is less.
E. VOTING: Except as specified elsewhere in these Bylaws, a simple majority vote of members in good standing and voting shall be required to approve or disapprove any matter.
The Chapter has established that voting will be one vote per family unit.
Balloting by mail may be undertaken when a proposed matter is voted to be of such importance that a total membership vote is advisable.
F. PARLIAMENTARY PROCESS: The rules contained in the current edition of ROBERT’S RULES OF ORDER NEWLY REVISED shall govern this Chapter’s proceedings to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Constitution and Bylaws of FMCA, and the Bylaws of this Chapter.
- MAINTAINING AFFILIATION: This Chapter must maintain a minimum of fifteen family unit members.
- The Chapter Secretary shall furnish to the National Office of FMCA, no later than the last week in December, a membership list, a list of chapter officers, and assurance that two business meetings were held.
- ANNUAL AUDIT: An annual audit of the Chapter’s financial books and records shall be undertaken and reported to membership.
- APPLICATION OF NATIONAL CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS: This Chapter accepts and agrees that the Chapter Bylaws shall conform to any mandatory requirements stipulated in the Constitution and Bylaws of FMCA.
>> ARTICLE VII – ELECTIONS
- NOMINATION COMMITTEE COMPOSITION:
A. The Nomination Committee shall consist of not less than three Chapter members in good standing, nominated and elected yearly by the Chapter membership.
B. Election of an individual to the Nominating Committee shall not prohibit that person from being nominated for elected office.
- NOMINATING COMMITTEE DUTIES:
A. To select one of its members as Nominating Committee Chairman.
B. To nominate candidates for the Chapter Offices of President, Area Vice Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer, National Director, and an Alternate National Director for the new year. The Vice President of Administration shall be nominated by the Board of Directors and shall be included in the Slate of Candidates. This Slate will be presented for voting by the Chapter membership and, if elected, will serve on the GMC Motorhome International Board of Directors.
C. To obtain clear acceptance of the nominees to serve the Chapter should they be elected.
D. To make certain that nominated candidates are a member in good standing and qualified under applicable National and Chapter bylaws.
E. To nominate candidates to fill vacancies that occur in elected Chapter offices.
>> ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
- MANDATORY AMENDMENTS: National Bylaw Amendments applicable to Chapter operations shall be automatically adopted by the Chapter and are not subject to a vote by the Chapter membership.
- AMENDING PROCEDURE: These Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds affirmative vote of the members present and voting at a duly called meeting, providing that prior notice of at least thirty days has been given of the proposition(s) to amend.
- Any member of the Chapter may propose amendments to the Bylaws.
- Approved amendments to these Bylaws become effective immediately upon their adoption, or at such time as specified in the amendment.
- DISTRIBUTION: Copies of changes, additions, amendments, or revisions to these Bylaws shall be forwarded to the National Office and the National Area Vice President.
>> ARTICLE IX – LIQUIDATION AND DISSOLUTION
In the event of dissolution of this Chapter of FMCA, by majority vote of the chapter, all of the remaining assets of the chapter shall be contributed to the purposes for which the Chapter is organized, or to a qualified nonprofit charity or charities.